The Blues Foundation‘s 29th International Blues Challenge concluded Saturday with an afternoon twin bill at the Orpheum Theatre.
The top prize in the Band competition was awarded to the Selwyn Birchwood Band of the Suncoast Blues Society. Second place honors were earned by Michael van Merwyk and Bluesoul, German Blues Network, and the third spot went to Dan Treanor’s Afrosippi Band w/ Erica Brown, hailing from the Colorado Blues Society.
A beautiful custom Gibson ES-335 guitar featuring The Blues Foundation’s logo and a Category 5 amp was awarded to Selwyn Birchwood as the band finals top guitarist.
In the Best Self-Produced CD contest, the judges determined the best to be :
Montreal Blues Society
Blues societies all over the world will soon be starting all over again as they begin their own competitions to determine who they will send to the 30th International Blues Challenge, the finals of which will be staged February 1, 2014.
- Texarillo; The Blues Come Full Circle (keenemusic.wordpress.com)
- Filipino band to join Memphis contest (entertainment.inquirer.net)
- The song of 1912 (bbc.co.uk)
- ‘Jimmy Adler’ wears two hats, one made for the blues (triblive.com)
- Blues Breakers Playlist – Bobby Bland – Jan 28, ’13 (wxrt.cbslocal.com)