Former Montrealer Gino Vannelli came home on the weekend. Too bad is was not for good …
Performing two sold – out shows at The Rialto was a shame. A man with a voice like his, should be atop Mont Royal – a town cryer if you will. Letting locals and tourists alike know; he is one of ours.
Gino started his musical career as a drummer. Ironic because all these years later – the beat goes on. In his soul and the spirits of the many who turned up to witness the author of so many ‘full tunes’.
Seldom does a singer, so meticulously involved in the production of sound, deliver music the way Vannelli does. Complete with orchestra moves normally associated with a bandleader – the current resident of Oregon echoes perfection to the ears.
A treat given to the ‘hounds of music’. A delightful dish of something seldom heard anymore.
Here are the Top Ten Signs Gino Rocked!
10. Black cars nowhere to be seen during daylight hours.
9. ‘People’moving. Period!
8. Pre – Hallowe’en sales of dark curly wigs unusually high.
7. ‘When I think about those nights in Montreal …’ Enough said!
6. Men disregarding cold and beer bellies to display taped on chest hair – alarmingly high!
5. ‘Lollapalooza’ replacing ‘Bazooka’ as the number one chewing gum on the bedpost overnight!
4. New Ben and Jerry ice cream flavor? Gino Vanilla …
3. John Travolta replaced by Vannelli in Saturday Night Fever; The Sequel!
2. First thirty rows of The Rialto? Women over forty …
and the number one sign Gino Vannelli rocked …!?
1. Just watch! Nine months from now … ? An increase of baby boys named Gino!